Christy Derksen, mezzo-soprano, holds a MMus from University of Western Ontario and a BMus from Western Washington University. Her passion is displayed as a performer, educator, and vocal coach. Ms. Derksen has won numerous vocal competitions and awards including a prestigious Professional Training Grant from the Alberta Foundation for the Arts for two consecutive years.
Ms. Derksen’s opera credits include: Dorabella (Cosi fan Tutte), Sesto & Nireno (Guilio Cesare), Mistress Paige (Falstaff), 2nd Lady (The Magic Flute), La Principessa & Mistress of the Novices (Suor Angelica), Suzanne (La Mere Coupable), Dido (Dido and Aeneas), Mother/Gertrude (Hansel & Gretel), Miss Todd (The Old Maid). She has performed as concert soloist in Bach’s Christmas Oratorio, Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, Haydn’s Harmoniemesse, Rachmoninoff’s All Night Vigil, Ralph Vaughn Williams Mass in G, as well as numerous performances of Handel’s Messiah.
Over the years Ms. Derksen has taught at Redeemer University (Ancaster ON), Rocky Mountain College (Calgary, AB), Columbia Bible College (Abbotsford, BC), Northwest Baptist College (Langley, BC). Notably, Ms. Derksen was one of Chilliwack School of Performing Arts founding instructors, enjoying 3 seasons with this company preparing Annie & The Music Man. In Summer 2019, she was invited to teach a MasterClass with Vancouver’s Theatre Under The Stars.
Ms.Derksen has been teaching at Trinity Western University since Spring of 2018.
Research & Scholarship
- M.Mus in Literature and Performance, University of Western Ontario,
- B.Mus in Vocal Performance, Western Washington University
- Vancouver Academy of Music, Vancouver, BC
Post Graduate Studies at:
- The Centre for Opera Studies in Italy with Wendy Nielson, Kevin Mallon & Tom Diamond; Sulmona, Italy
- Summer Opera Lyric Theatre with Guillermo Silva-Marin, Michael Rose, Kevin Mallon; Toronto, Opera
- Canadian Operatic Academy with Sophie Roland, Simone Luti & Mark Payne; London, Ontario
- Opera Nuova with Rose Thomson and Kim Mattice-Wanat, Edmonton, Opera
Awards & Honors
- 2010 Alberta Arts Foundation Training Development Grant
- 2009 London Opera Guild Bursary
- 2009 London Music Scholarship Winner
- 2008 NATS Songfest First Place-Graduate Class
- 2008 Alberta Arts Foundation Training Development Grant
- 2008 Edmonton Opera Guild Bursary
- 2008 UWO Two Year Western Research Grant
Affiliations & Memberships
Member of NATS
“Christy was an extremely competent teacher who emphasized communication with all of her students, and hence produced some very talented and always well prepared young performers…As an experienced performer herself, she was highly effective in demonstrating and teaching performance protocol within her studio. She also strongly modeled life-long learning for her students by continuing to seek coaching herself with internationally known teachers and performers.”
M. Paula Quick, M.Mus.
Director, Chilliwack Academy of Music
Founding Member, Trio Girigonza
- MUSA 110 Private Voice Lesson
- MUSA 111 Private Voice Lesson
- MUSA 210 Private Voice Lesson
- MUSA 211 Private Voice Lesson
- MUSA 310 Private Voice Lesson
- MUSA 311 Private Voice Lesson
- MUSA 410 Private Voice Lesson
- MUSA 411 Private Voice Lesson
- MUSI 336 Vocal Literature