I believe that my role as a teacher is not only to deliver intellectual knowledge, but to help shape students into becoming full of compassion and able to embrace the ongoing challenges facing our community, by being the “salt and light” of the world.
After graduating with her BSN from University of Calgary, Cathy worked as an RN in the medical/surgical unit and perused an intensive care specialty certification. While working in the intensive care unit, Cathy broadened her clinical experience by working in various health care settings such as Post Anesthetic Care Unit and the neurostimulation clinic. Having recently completed her MSN at TWU, she wishes for her research skills to be used for empowering patients and families to improve their experience of illness. Toward that end, Cathy has collaborated with the research team at Vancouver General Hospital to implement technology use in dementia care. Cathy has experience as a clinical instructor and has a great passion for teaching nursing students.
Research & Scholarship
- Master of Science in Nursing (TWU)
- Intensive Care Nursing Certification (Alberta Health Services)
- Bachelor of Nursing (University of Calgary)
- Bachelor of Art in Psychology (University of Regina)
Shadarevian, J., Chan, C., Berndt, A., Son, C., Gregorio, M., Horne, N., & Hung, L. (2020). Creating a toolkit with stakeholders for leveraging tablet computers to support person-centred dementia care in hospitals. Journal of Rehabilitation and Assistive Technologies Engineering, 7, 2055668320960385.
Hung, L., Son, C., & Hung, R. (2019). The experience of hospital staff in applying the gentle persuasive approaches to dementia care. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 26(1-2), 19-28.
Hung, L., Berndt, A., Wallsworth, C., Horne, N., Gregorio, M., Mann, J., Son, C., Camps, A., Chow, B., O'Neil, R., & Chaudhury, H. (2019). Use of touch screen tablets to support social connections and reduce responsive behaviours among people with dementia in care settings: A scoping review protocol. BMJ Open, 9(11), e031653.
Affiliations & Memberships
- British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM)
- Canadian Nurses Association
- Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses (CACCN)
- Gerontological Nurses’ Association of British Columbia (GNABC)
- Simulation Canada
- NURS 212 Nursing Care of the Older Adult
- NURS 213 Clinical Practice: Older Adult
- NURS 233 Clinical Practice: Adult Health II
- NURS 413 Clinical Practice: Adult Health III