Joshua Hale, MFA
Joshua Hale is a professional artist and designer from Texas. Having professional and educational experience in both the design and studio art realms, he brings with him a unique interdisciplinary perspective.
Before earning his MFA in studio art, he worked as a professional graphic and web designer in Texas. In regards to design, he is experienced in the areas of branding and identity, typography, front-end web design, and UI/UX Design. He is also interested in creative thinking processes, creative problem solving techniques, and innovative design methodologies. This has led him to integrate various creative problem solving frameworks, such as lateral thinking, design thinking, and human-centred design practices, into his design and studio work, as well as into the classroom environment.
His studio work has been included in multiple solo, juried, and group exhibitions across the US and Canada. He has also been actively involved with an international contemporary art publication for emerging artists. In addition to his studio practice, he maintains an interest in critical theory, contemporary art, visual culture, and art history. His studio work is a visual exploration into the psychological process of deconstructing complex systems, both human and natural, and what happens when our rigid ways of thinking begin to merge, cluster, and dissolve.
His most recent SSHRC-funded research is focused on exploring the ways that art, design, and knowledge mobilization might be combined in collaborative interdisciplinary research.
- MFA – 2D - Painting & Drawing (Southern Illinois University Carbondale)
- BFA – Graphic Design (Abilene Christian University)
Visual Communication, Graphic Design, Studio Art, Design Thinking, Arts-based Research, Arts-based, Knowledge Translation, Knowledge Mobilization, Interdisciplinary Collaboration, Creative Problem Solving, Contemporary Art, Critical Theory, Design Theory
- Project Title: Integrated Creative Practices (ICP) for Research Innovation and Mobilization - Funding: $55,523 - SSHRC Insight Development Grant - Principal Applicant: Joshua Hale, MFA (Chair of Art + Design, TWU) - Co-Applicants: Dave Clements, PhD; Kelly Arbeau, PhD
Awards & Honors
- Teaching Assistantship | Full Tuition Waiver | Southern Illinois University - Awarded positions of instruction within the Art & Design department (2013-2016)
- Travel Grant | College Art Association (CAA) - Awarded to selected applicant members of the organization (2015)
- Research Grant | Graduate Association of Painters and Printmakers - Awarded to active members of the organization (2015)
- ART 150 Creative Thinking
- ART 250 Fundamentals of Digital Design
- ART 361 Imaging and Illustration Design
- ART 362 Symbol & Typography Design
- ART 363 Format & Layout Design
- ART 364 Interaction Design
- ART 370 Professional Practices
- ART 490 Advanced Creative Thinking