At Trinity Western University, we create culture.
Creativity drives culture. We are a community of professional artists, designers, scholars, and students who look at visual ways of creating. Within a variety of interdisciplinary historical, critical, and theoretical contexts, we explore how visual art and design practices can be used to create and critique culture. Our program empowers students to become creative leaders who are able to adapt and innovate in our rapidly changing world.
First Year: Visual Foundations
Second Year: Skills Mastery
Third Year: Integration of Theory and Practice
Fourth Year: Graduate Art Exhibition
As a student of Art + Design at TWU, you will receive one-on-one mentorship within a supportive and challenging creative community. You will be encouraged to take risks, think critically, and explore intersections between faith and art. Grounded within a liberal arts core, this program offers visual foundations, digital design, art history, theory, and studio practices such as drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, and intermedia installations.
“The education I received from SAMC’s Art + Design program was pivotal in preparing me for my artistic career. The Art + Design department’s small class sizes, one-on-one mentorship, and faith-based trust between students and professors proved invaluable to my development as a person and academic artist. The courses provide a strong foundation in practical studio skills, conceptual development, and historical and contemporary art practices. This foundation is integral when entering into the contemporary academic art context. I can confidently attribute my success, as I complete the final semester of a Master of Fine Arts, to the lessons I learned from my professors and peers at TWU.”
- Exhibitions on and off-campus, including solo exhibitions for Honours students
- Studio classrooms, digital design lab, and dedicated senior studio space
- Practicum opportunities and campus media positions
- Major, minor, concentration, and honours options
- Travel studies to London and Paris
- Instructors who are exhibiting and publishing professionals, exceptional educators, and committed Christians
- Small class sizes and one-on-one mentoring
- Dedicated on-campus gallery featuring work from students, faculty, alumni, and visiting artists
TWU’s Art + Design alumni have been accepted into prestigious graduate programs across North America and around the world. Many graduates have gone directly into art and design careers, flourishing in diverse contexts such as art history, education, architecture, graphic design, marketing, faith-based ministries, and gallery administration.