You can find out more about Dr. Sam Pimentel and his research programme by visiting his website.
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Trinity Western University
August 2012 - ongoing
Simon Fraser University
November 2012 - ongoing
He has held post-doctoral research positions at the University of British Columbia (UBC), Simon Fraser University (SFU) and Aberystwyth University and has been a sessional lecturer at Simon Fraser University (SFU) and University of the Fraser Valley (UFV).
Research & Scholarship
Dr. Sam Pimentel's NSERC funded research programme involves the application of data assimilation methods in glaciology. Funded graduate and undergraduate research opportunities are available, interested students are encouraged to send him an email inquiry including your transcript.
His recent research has involved the development and application of numerical ice-flow models with a particular focus on the interaction of ice-sheet dynamics and glacier hydrology. He has interests in applied and computational mathematics, ice sheet modelling, ocean modelling, and data assimilation
Ph.D., 2007, University of Reading, UK
M. Math., 2003, University of Bath, UK
- S. Pimentel, W.-H. Tse*, H. Xu*, D. Denaxa, E. Jansen, G. Korres, I. Mirouze, and A. Storto. Modeling the near-surface diurnal cycle of sea surface temperature in the Mediterranean Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research – Oceans, 124, 171-183, http://doi.org/10.1029/2018JC014289, 2019.
- S. Pimentel, G. E. Flowers, M. J. Sharp, B. Danielson, L. Copland, W. Van Wychen, A. Duncan, and J. L. Kavanaugh. Modelling intra-annual dynamics of a major marine-terminating Arctic glacier. Annals of Glaciology, 58, 118-130, http://doi.org/10.1017/aog.2017.23, 2017.
- C. F. Dow, B. Kulessa, I. C. Rutt, V. C. Tsai, S. Pimentel, S. H. Doyle, D. van As, K. Lindback, R. Pettersson, G. A. Jones, and A. Hubbard. Modeling of subglacial hydrological development following rapid supraglacial lake drainage. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface, 120,doi:10.1002/2014JF003333, 2015.
- F. Beaud, G. E. Flowers, and S. Pimentel. Seasonal-scale abrasion and quarrying patterns from a two-dimensional ice-flow model coupled to distributed and channelized subglacial drainage. Geomorphology, 219, 176-191, doi:10.1016/j.geomorph.2014.04.036, 2014.
- G. E. Flowers, N. Roux, S. Pimentel, and C. G. Schoof. Present dynamics and future prognosis of a slowly surging glacier. The Cryosphere, 5, 299-313, doi:10.5194/tc-5-299-2011, 2011.
- S. Pimentel and G. E. Flowers. A numerical study of hydrologically driven glacier dynamics and subglacial flooding. Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 467:537-558, doi:10.1098/rspa.2010.0211, 2011.
- S. Pimentel, G. E. Flowers, and C. G. Schoof. A hydrologically coupled higher-order flow-band model of ice dynamics with a Coulomb friction sliding law. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface, 115, F04023, doi:10.1029/2009JF001621, 2010.
- S. Pimentel, K. Haines, and N. K. Nichols. The assimilation of satellite derived sea surface temperatures into a diurnal cycle model. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans, 113, C11004, doi:10.1029/2007JC004608, 2008.
- S. Pimentel, K. Haines, and N. K. Nichols. Modeling the diurnal variability of sea surface temperatures. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans, 113, C11004, doi:10.1029/2007JC004607, 2008.
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Ice Sheet Modelling, Ocean Modelling, and Data Assimilation