Practicum experience provides opportunity to:
- Develop crucial clinical skills in a safe and supportive climate within the first two consecutive semesters.
- Learn teamwork by observing peers, reflecting on their observations and suggesting alternative ideas for intervention.
- Receive valuable feedback from a qualified clinical supervisor and a small group of peers.
- Experience a range of different clients through community counselling beginning in the first semester.
- Experience a "day in the life of a professional counselling centre", meeting for 8 hours one day a week.
Students are required to complete 30 "direct contact" hours with clients and are encouraged to complete 10 hours of group counselling. At least 60 indirect hours are required, which encompass supervision, writing progress notes, video review, and group debriefing.
Practicum Locations currently include:
- Trinity Western University - Fraser River Counselling Centre, Langley
- St. Dunstan’s Anglican Church - Aldergrove
- Central Heights Church – Abbotsford
Internship experience provides opportunity to:
- Receive valuable clinical supervision and feedback in one or many different community settings.
- Work with partners including organizations such as the Correctional Service of Canada, the B.C. Cancer Agency, Ministry of Child and Family Development, Surrey Community Services, and Langley Community Services.
- Have a variety of experience in various settings such as non-profit, government, and private practice.
The Internship is regarded as a summative clinical experience leading to the MA degree in Counselling Psychology. Internship training includes 600 hours (240 directs hours and 360 indirect hours).
Students are required to complete at least 240 hours of counselling directly with clients, 40 hours of which involve group counselling. At least 360 additional hours of supervision, paperwork, and other professional responsibilities are required (600 hours total).