Robert Hiebert, Ph.D.
Rob’s hobbies include fishing, rock hounding, photography, and travel. He also enjoys reading, watching movies, and following politics. For exercise, he jogs and plays basketball. He used to play hockey. He is a Canucks, Blue Jays, and B.C. Lions fan.
• University of Toronto (Ph.D., 1986); Septuagint Studies. Thesis Title: “A Textual Analysis of the So-Called Syrohexaplaric Psalter.”
• University of Toronto (M.A., 1979); Septuagint Studies.
• University of Toronto (B.A. Honours, 1978); Biblical Languages and Literature.
• Institute for Holy Land Studies, Jerusalem (Junior Year Abroad Program, 1974-75); Hebrew, Biblical and Historical Studies.
• Trinity Western College (Associate in Arts, 1973): Arts and Science.
• Columbia Bible Institute (Biblical Studies Diploma, 1971).
Hebrew Bible, Septuagint (Genesis, Psalms, IV Maccabees), Syriac Bible (Psalms, IV Maccabees), Hermeneutics, and Bible translation
Scholarly Research Grants:
• 2012-2016: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) Insight Grant.
• 2008-2011: (SSHRC) Standard Research Grant.
• 2009: SSHRC Internal Grant.
• 2008-2009: Faculty Fellowship: The Lilly Theological Research Grants Program of the Association of Theological Schools.
• 2008: SSHRC Aid to Research Workshops and Conferences in Canada Grant.
• 2008: Priscilla and Stanford Reid Trust Conference Grant (co-applicant: Dr. Larry Perkins).
• 2005-2008: SSHRC Standard Research Grant.
• 2007: German Research Visit Grant, Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Göttingen.
• 2005: German Research Visit Grant, Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Göttingen.
• 2004-2005: Visiting Skirball Fellowship, Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies.
• 2002: SSHRC Internal Grant.
• 2001: SSHRC Internal Grant.
• 2000: SSHRC Internal Grant.
Awards & Honors
2018-20 Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
(SSHRC) Explore Grant
2015-18 Greek Psalter Project, Phase I, Scholars Initiative,
Museum of the Bible
2016-21 SSHRC Insight Grant (principal investigator: Dirk Büchner;
co-applicants: Robert Hiebert, Larry Perkins, Cameron Boyd-Taylor,
Claude Cox, Jannes Smith)
2012-17 SSHRC Insight Grant
The critical edition of IV Maccabees for the Göttingen Septuaginta: Vetus Testamentum Graecum series.
A commentary on Genesis for the series, The Society of Biblical Literature
Commentary on the Septuagint (SBLCS), sponsored by the International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies (IOSCS).
“Translation Is Required”: The Septuagint in Retrospect and Prospect (ed. Robert J. V. Hiebert; Society of Biblical Literature Septuagint and
Cognate Studies [SBLSCS] 56; Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2010).
Reviewed by Karen Jobes in Review of
Biblical Literature 10/4/2011 (http://www.bookreviews.org/bookdetail.asp?TitleId=...).
The Old Greek Psalter: Studies in Honour of Albert Pietersma (ed. Robert J. V. Hiebert [primary editor], Claude E. Cox, and Peter J. Gentry;
Journal for the Study of the Old Testament: Supplement Series [JSOTSup] 332;
Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 2001).
The “Syrohexaplaric” Psalter (SBLSCS 27; Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1989).
Introduction and Translation
Genesis, in A New English Translation of the Septuagint (ed. Albert Pietersma and Benjamin G. Wright; New York / Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007).
Affiliations & Memberships
Society of Biblical Literature
Canadian Society of Biblical Studies
International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies
Canadian Evangelical Theological Association
COMMITTEE / BOARD MEMBER
International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies (IOSCS)
President, IOSCS, 2018–
Vice President, IOSCS, 2012–2017
Executive Committee, IOSCS, 1993-2008, 2012–
Society of Biblical Literature Septuagint and Cognate Studies (SBLSCS)
Editorial Advisory Board, 2012–
Society of Biblical Literature Commentary on the Septuagint (SBLCS)
Joint-Editor-in-Chief, SBLCS, 2006–
Editorial Board, SBLCS, 2000–
Society of Biblical Literature Program Unit: The Greek Bible
Steering Committee, 2004-16
New English Translation of the Septuagint (NETS)
Editorial Committee, 2000-07
Biblical Hermeneutics; Elementary Hebrew I & II; Old Testament Hebrew Exegesis I & II; Exploring Septuagint Origins and Texts; The Septuagint in Early Jewish and Christian Traditions; Current Issues in Septuagint Studies; Exposition of the Pentateuch; Exposition of Genesis; Exposition of Exodus; Exposition of Historical Literature; Exposition of the Prophetical Literature; Exposition of Isaiah; Exposition of the Minor Prophets; Exposition of Wisdom Literature; Exposition of Job; Exposition of the Psalms; Old Testament Theology; Old Testament Exposition; Old Testament Seminar; Research Writing and the Ministry of Scholarship