Questions about studying at TWU?

You're excited to study in Canada, ready for new adventures and experiences, but you've got a couple lingering questions. You'll find everything you need to know about permits, insurance, bank accounts, cars and more right here.

Will a TWU degree be recognized in the U.S.?

Yes! TWU is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, and is also a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC). Our alumni have gone on to attend graduate school in the U.S. and around the world at institutions like Columbia University, University of Washington, Yale University, George Fox University, and many more! TWU Alumni also have careers in the U.S. across hundreds of fields like nursing, medicine, law, teaching, ministry and others.

Do I need a study permit to study at TWU?

Yes! You can obtain a study permit at a Canadian point of entry such as the border or airport. Be prepared by collecting these pieces ahead of time:

  1. Proof of admission (We'll send you this in the summer.)
  2. Proof of funds (Scholarships, loans, bank statement/savings etc.)
  3. Passport
  4. $150.00 fee

The permit will most likely be given to you for four years of study (request it for four years) but there are no guarantees. 

Do you accept Running Start credits at TWU?

Yes! We accept U.S. Running Start credits both as an AA or AS degree, and individual courses (if you do not plan on completing the full degree).

You will be considered a ‘Freshman Transfer’ student which means you are still considered a new student in regards to financial aid, not a transfer student.

Is there any campus employment for U.S. students?

With a study permit and a demonstrated need for financial aid, students are able to work on campus. The study permit also allows full-time students to work off-campus, part-time during the school year (max. 20 hours per week) and full-time during summer and breaks.

After graduating, students can apply for a three-year work permit. The permit is valid for work anywhere in Canada.

Is there any medical insurance available for U.S. students?

All international students are required to purchase B.C. Medical while living at TWU. This will be set up for you by TWU on Orientation Day at the beginning of the semester. Cost is approximately $800 per year. The insurance covers doctor visits, emergency room visits, emergency surgery and more. It does not cover vision, dental or prescriptions.

What about cell phone plans for U.S. students?

Canadian cell phones tend to be expensive so it is not ideal to have one and not entirely necessary. Some international plans from the U.S. are reasonable – check with your provider for Canadian coverage and plans.

Our campus has free Wi-Fi capable of supporting online software/apps to stay connected with family and friends.

What about Canadian bank accounts?

You don't necessarily need a Canadian bank account but it's convenient. If you work on campus you'll receive a Canadian social insurance number/SIN (similar to the SSN).  You can then set up a student bank account using your SIN and get paychecks automatically deposited into your account.

Will I need a car? And what about car insurance?

You don't need a Canadian license or license plate while studying in Canada because you'll (most likely) be here temporarily.

Check with your current insurance provider to ensure you'll be covered in Canada. (It's rare but you may need separate Canadian insurance.) If you're planning on importing a vehicle into Canada, check with ICBC's policies. If you do not have a car on campus, that is okay!  Students with cars tend to offer rides to their fellow students and dorm mates as long as they offer up some gas money!

Didn't find what you're looking for? Send us an email at We'd love to help you out!