Worship Team Applications Are Now Open!
Whether you sing, or play bass guitar, cello, drum kit, synths, or saxophone, we want to hear from you! Being involved on a Chapel or SNA team is a great way to hone your musicianship, grow in your experience of worship in its many forms, receive teaching on worship theology, and experience rich community with your peers.
Applying for a Chapel or SNA worship team involves two steps. The first step is to complete a written application online. The second step is to complete an in-person audition. Whether you love to play music, design graphics, mix sound, or organize events, there are lots of opportunities for you to invest in our life of worship as a TWU community. As a participant within a Prayer, Arts, & Worship Ministries team, you will be supported and encouraged by a leadership team who is passionate about worship and invested in your growth as a Christ-follower and a servant leader.
You may complete your online application here. Once your application is complete you'll receive an email from us inviting you to do a video or in-person audition.
You need to select one of the following three songs to perform instrumentally and/or vocally. Feel free to transpose to a different key as needed.
- “Great Things” by Phil Wickham (download chord chart in B, D, G)
- “Here I Bow” by Bethel Music (download chord chart in A, D, G)
- “Yet Not I But Through Christ in Me” by City Alight (download chord chart in keys C, D or G)
You'll also be asked to walk a small worship team through one additional worship song of your choosing. To do this:
- Select and rehearse one of your favourite worship songs.
- Print four chord charts of the song and bring them to your audition.
- We will provide a small ensemble to accompany you through the song you've chosen.
- Your instrument (a keyboard, bass amp, Helix electric guitar pedal, and drum kit will be available in the practice space).
- You will also need to bring a chord chart (4 copies) for a worship song of your choosing.
- Any questions you have for us.
You'll be sent an email regarding the final status of your application/audition at the end of March/early April.
The time commitment varies from week to week (i.e. it's distributed differently) depending on whether you're on a Chapel or Sunday Night Alive team, but students should expect to invest 8 hours/week on average to participate on any TWU worship team. Just remember three, two, one!
- Three hours of personal practice per week: scheduled by you on your own time for the purpose of honing your craft, practicing your parts, and learning new repertoire.
- Two hours of team rehearsal per week: scheduled around team members’ schedules for the purpose of creating compelling arrangements and strengthening musical cohesiveness.
- One hour of team time per week: scheduled around team members’ schedules and designed to help your team grow together.
- For SNA specifically: SNA takes place six times per semester (approx. bi-weekly) from 7-8 PM. There is one SNA worship team. So, in addition to the above weekly commitments, each SNA event represents a 5-hour commitment (from approx. 4-9 PM).
- For Chapel specifically: Chapel teams will lead on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays during the school year from 11-11:30 AM. There are three Chapel worship teams that operate on a one on, two off rotation. So, in addition to the above weekly commitments, each team's chapel week represents an additional 5-8 hour commitment (from 10:30-11:45 AM Monday to Friday on the weeks your team is leading worship in song).
- For Breathe Chapel specifically: Breathe Chapel takes place 2-4x per month, usually during Devotion Chapels on Tuesdays or Thursdays from 11-11:30 AM. There is one Breathe team. So, in addition to the above weekly commitments, each Breathe event involves a commitment from 10:30-11:45 AM, 2-4x each month.
We welcome students of different majors, backgrounds, church denominations, and experience levels to apply. We also believe that God-honouring and effective leadership in all areas flows out of the life each team member lives before God and others. That's why we're looking for worshipers who...
- Model active faith in Jesus: Are you a committed follower of Jesus Christ who pursues a consistent and growing relationship with Him as your Saviour?
- Pursue musical excellence: Are you dedicated to producing the best possible musical and artistic material as an aid to community worship? Are you creative, collaborative, and committed to regular practice of your instrument?
- Own the vision: Are you passionate about and committed to worship that is Trinitarian, Gospel-Centered, Formational, and Communal?
- Serve sacrificially: Are you eager to generously offer your talents and your time as an expression of love for God and others?
- Prioritize Chapel & SNA events: Are you committed to frequent and consistent participation in our scheduled worship and training events?