TWU’s Masterworks Chorus is an auditioned SATB community ensemble made up of approximately 70 singers, mostly faculty, staff and alumni of TWU. It’s also open to community members who just love to sing at a high level. Masterworks serves as an extension of the choral program at TWU and is conducted by Dr. Joel Tranquilla, Director of Choral Activities in the School of the Arts, Media + Culture. SAMC is proud to showcase the Masterworks Chorus alongside our student choirs at concerts such as the annual “Christmas at the Chan Centre.”
- Rehearsal time: Tuesdays 7:00 – 9:15pm (beginning September 11)
- Rehearsal venue: RSC Atrium, Trinity Western University
- Upcoming performances:
- Christmas Preview on Sunday, November 25, 2018
- Christmas at the Chan dress rehearsal on Saturday, December 1, 2018
- Christmas at the Chan on Sunday, December 2, 2018
- The fee is $100 per semester, plus a $20 deposit which is refunded if the music from the previous term is returned on time. Payment is due by the third week of rehearsals in each semester.
An audition for the Masterworks Chorus is an opportunity for Joel to hear your voice, to explore your skill with sight-reading, and to get to know a little bit about you. The entire process takes about 10 minutes. You will be asked to fill out a form with your contact information and a brief overview of your musical background, including any musical training and choral experience you might have.
The elements of the audition include:
You can sing one piece of your choice, not longer than three minutes in length. This can be a classical art song, a folk song, a hymn – anything at all. Memorization of your selection is not required, and Joel will be happy to accompany you on the piano if your selection has a written-out accompaniment.
You will be asked to read a short musical passage at sight. Most people don’t think they’re very good at this, and it should not deter you from auditioning for this choir. If you have difficulty with sight-reading, Joel will be able to give you some tips on how to improve in this area.
3. Vocal exercises
You will be asked to sing a few short exercises, much like you would do in a vocal warm-up at the start of a rehearsal.
To set up an audition, email Joel.Tranquilla@twu.ca .