Keith Snider was born in Nigeria, where his parents were missionaries with the Sudan Interior Mission. After receiving his M.A. in Linguistics, Keith worked with the Chumburung Bible translation project in Ghana. Later, after completing his doctoral program, Keith served as the Linguistics coordinator for the Cameroon Branch as well as an International Linguistics Consultant at SIL International, a position which he still holds. Keith has taught at CanIL at TWU since 2000.
Research & Scholarship
DLitt Linguistics (Leiden) 1990; M.A. Linguistics (University of Texas, Arlington); B.Th. (Canadian Bible College)
Awards & Honors
- Phi Sigma Iota (U.S. National Linguistics Honor Society), 1980
- To appear. “Orthography” in The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics, edited by Carole A. Chapelle. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- 2007 Automatic and nonautomatic downstep in Chumburung: An instrumental comparison. Work Papers of the Summer Institute of Linguistics, University of North Dakota Session 49.
- 2004 (with James Robert) SIL comparaitve African word list (SILCAWL). The Journal of West African Languages. 31.2, 73-122.
- 2004 Review of Jean Blanchon and Denis Creissels (eds.), Issues in Bantu tonology. Journal of African Languages and Linguistics 25.1, 102-106.
- 2003 Review of Larry M. Hyman and Charles W. Kisseberth (eds.), Theoretical aspects of Bantu tone. Journal of African Languages and Linguistics 24.1, 99-103.
- 1999 The Geometry and Features of Tone . The Summer Institute of Linguistics and the University of Texas at Arlington.
- 1989 Comparative African Wordlists 4: North Guang Comparative Wordlist: Chumburung, Krachi, Nawuri, Gichode and Gonja. African Studies, University of Ghana.
- 1993 (with Harry Van der Hulst) eds. The Representation of Tonal Register. Linguistic Models, 17. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
Affiliations & Memberships
- Canadian Linguistic Society
- West African Linguistic Society
- Linguistics Society of America
Tone analysis, Phonology, African Linguistics, and Historical and Comparative Linguistics
- Phonological Analysis
- Advanced Phonology
- Tone Analysis
- Historical and Comparative Linguistics